Having a well-designed backyard has always been important but as the pandemic continues on buyers are valuing a quality backyard more than ever before. Most households have limited entertaining options to outdoors only so many prospective buyers are looking for outdoor space that will allow for them to entertain safely during the pandemic. This new buying trend is just an additional consideration for making your yard a selling point amongst the existing numerous buyer preferences when considering the yard space. In today’s post we’ll cover some ideas on home to make your yard a selling point.
They don’t call it the great outdoors for anything. A well landscaped and maintained yard can add 15% to the value of your home. If a person REALLY loves it, your yard can add another 12% in perceived value to certain buyers! That’s a lot of value! Here are some suggestions to have your yard sell your home!
We can’t express enough how important curb appeal can be when it comes to selling your Chicago home. The fact of the matter is, people, DO sometimes judge a book by its cover. An overgrown front yard, worn paint, and overall messiness could cause some people not to even bother looking inside your home!
- Add paint touch-ups as needed
- Add new fixtures, locks, and doormat
- Refresh mailbox with some paint and flowers planted around the base
- Trim back bushes and trees, and make sure all the weeds are pulled from the flower beds.
Make Them Feel At Home
A backyard can be a huge opportunity for entertaining and a place for family and friends to gather. Take the time to design the backyard space with your outdoor furniture to help your prospective buyer envision how they can entertain guests in the backyard. Some ideas you want to consider for staging the backyard are:
- Make sure there are multiple seating areas.
- Add some leisure items such as a hammock or fire pit
- A nice backyard can almost serve as an additional room. Make the grilling area into an outdoor kitchen.
During showings and open houses, make sure to utilize the backyard! Grill some burgers and create a relaxing, homey atmosphere for your guests!
A clean and neat yard speaks volumes about how you care for the other aspects of your home. If you invest time and energy into the beautification of your yard, then you are likely to do the same throughout the rest of the house. A clean yard shows you take pride in your home, which potential buyers will recognize and respect.
- Power wash the sidewalk, porch, driveway and anything else that needs it. A good power washing can have the same effect as a fresh coat of paint!
- Pull the weeds, edge the lawn and trim back bushes and trees.
- Get rid of ANY clutter laying around. Even if it something you use, if it is in anyway an eye-sore, store it away somewhere else.
- Wash the windows, inside and out
- Touch up worn out or chipped paint
- Fix anything in need of repair… steps, mailbox, etc.
While you want a beautiful yard, you don’t want it to be a full-time job to maintain. Today’s buyers will scrutinize the details of the finishes in your backyard and be turned away if they see considerable future maintenance required. Simple and clean is the best way to go.
- Be conscious of water usage, especially in dryer areas
- Don’t plant high maintenance vegetation
- Consider a rock garden, sand or gravel in one area of the yard
However, you choose to landscape, make sure you are doing in consciously, with your potential buyer in mind! Your yard can make or break the sale of your home! Keep this in mind when you are ready to sell your Chicago house!
If you are thinking about selling your Chicago home, we can help you get ready with some innovative and inspiring ideas!