You want to sell your Chicago house, and you want to get top dollar.
But “What do I need to do to sell my house in Chicago“?
Here are some tips on how to get your home ready to sell if you’re looking for top dollar that the market will bear:
*NOTE: These instructions are if you’re looking to get full retail value for your house sale. However, if you don’t want to do the things below… or don’t have the time or money to do the things below… you can still sell your Chicago house fast for a fair value in a win-win sale that’ll save you time and expense.
1) Clean, clean and clean. Even vacant houses get dusty and dirty, so keep it up! Nothing short of gleaming perfection will impress buyers. If you’re not a total clean freak, hire someone who is to help you out until you sell.
If you’re a slob, consider finding somewhere else to live while you show your house. Maybe you can bribe your cleanest friend to trade houses with you? In all seriousness, keeping everything immaculate really helps buyers feel comfortable in your space. Nothing stops people faster from buying faster than feeling grossed out.
2) Neutral style. Fresh paint is one of the best investments you can make when it comes to selling your house. You’ll want to be sure you use some color in the paint you choose while keeping the tone of color at a reasonable level. Balance is key when it comes to paint.
Many paint stores even have specific swatches for neutral tones and you’ll want to be sure to choose one of these options. Unless you have a lot of experience painting, hire a quality professional to do the job right because a quality paint job speaks volumes to the overall build quality of the home to any buyer.
Consider the space you are painting as well when selecting the color. If you have a small and dark space a brighter neutral color can make the space feel larger. If you are painting a room that has a lot of water use (such as a bathroom) choose the appropriate sheen that will withstand those conditions. Another benefit of hiring a paint professional is you’ll be able to rely on their experience to make the right decisions regarding paint selection.
Make sure you don’t forget to address any painting needed on the outside of the house. Remember a detailed and quality paint job is one of the best ways to present a squeaky-clean home.
3) Fix or replace anything that’s broken. Most buyers today are looking for a home that is turn key and ready to move into right away. Sure, it may feel like a waste of money to do repairs around the house the house but make no mistake about it that you will pay much more for it (with a lower sale price) by not doing the repairs.
If you are presenting a home that a buyer perceives as requiring a lot of work then you will significantly limit your buyer pool. This ultimately results in a lower sale price of your home as they are significantly less buyers willing to purchase and those who are willing to purchase expect a price reduction for their efforts in making the required repairs.
Don’t forget if you are aware of a known defect when selling a house in Illinois that you have lived in then you are responsible for either repairing the defect or disclosing the defect to the buyer when selling.
4) Make only necessary improvements. The biggest mistake people make when getting their house ready to sell is over-improving. They often spend too much money on customized frills that can’t be recovered in the sale.
Paint is about the only safe investment – it’s easy to overspend on almost everything else, and it’s easy to get ripped off by unscrupulous contractors.
It’s important to know what improvements will produce a return on investment to avoid wasting money.
5) Get expert opinions. You should definitely find at least a few decent real estate brokers who will help you price your property, but be honest with them. If you’re going to market the property on your own, don’t make enemies by lying about your intentions. Great brokers are rare, but they make more money for their clients than they earn.
6) Have a really great marketing plan. Again, great brokers earn their value by doing this work and spreading the advertising expenses across many clients. It’s pretty expensive and time-consuming to start from scratch on your own, but if you’re already a marketing expert you’re ahead of the pack.
If you’re not, spend the time listening to what the best brokers do to sell houses in Chicago – just to educate yourself on the options.
7) Get a cash offer. We buy houses all over the Chicago area, and we do all the work so you don’t have to deal with any of this stuff.
Don’t Want To Do The Things Above Yourself? But Still Want To Sell Your Chicago IL House Fast?
While everyone wants to get as much as they possibly can from their house sale… not everyone can do the things or wants to do the things required to sell it at full retail value to an end buyer.
Doing the repairs, cleaning the property up, upgrading the property, marketing the property… those all take money and can take lots of time.
If you have the funds to do these things... AND you can wait the 3-9 months it takes to sell houses in this market… then you’ll be better off financially to do those things then list it on the MLS (the main property listing service that real estate agents use).
If you don’t have the funds to do these things... AND can’t wait months to sell your house… then you may be a perfect fit for our local Chicago house buying service. You’ll submit basic info about your house over here on our website, we’ll evaluate your house, we’ll make you a fair all-cash offer on your house, and you can decide if it’s a fit for you.
Then we can close FAST (often times within 7 days) if you need us to.
Take a look at what we’ll pay you not to do anything versus the time, expense and hassle involved with doing it on your own.
So if you’re still asking “what do I need to do to sell my house in Chicago“… now you have 2 solid options.
- Fix the property up and get it all nice and ready with the steps above to sell it at top dollar
- Let us do all of the work and we’ll make you a cash offer on your house in AS-IS condition. This saves you time, money, and gets the hassle off of your hands.
If you need to sell a property near Chicago, we can help you.
We buy properties like yours from people who need to sell fast.